Google Drive is a cloud-based storage service available for free and accessible from anywhere. You can access it from smartphones, PCs, and tablets. With this, the users can store videos, and photos, share files, links, and tag Email addresses. If you create a Google account, you can have 15GB of free storage on a Google drive. This article will help you to change google drive folder location.
When you install the Google drive on your computer for the first time, the folder is created in the C drive by default if you want to change the location of a Google drive folder. For relocation, you need to first install Google Drive. But sometimes Google also may trick you with errors like ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.
See Also: Easy Fixes For “Network Change Detected” Error | 2023
Google Drive- Benefits
Google Drive has many benefits, such as:
- Simple to use interface.
- Compatible with Microsoft Office.
- Use a personalized link to share your files.
- Keep films, PDFs, presentations, and images on your computer.
- SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption.
- You have a lot of alternatives with apps and templates.
- You can access your documents from any location on the planet.
Download: Google Drive
Why Change Google Drive Folder Location?
All applications, software, and operating system are installed in the C drive on the windows computer. Corruption of files or apps in the C drive includes bugs, viruses, and sometimes windows updates. If a system file is corrupted, you have to reinstall the operating system, including all other apps and Google drive installed in that drive. So it is a safe idea to maintain and save files, operating systems, and Google drives in the other location.
On Google Drive, you have options to save files, important documents, videos, and images. Maintain Google Drive carefully. If the folder gets corrupt, you may lose important files.
So these are some of the reasons to change the Google drive location folder. To achieve it, you have to know some of the methods where you can save your files, videos, images, and important documents from getting corrupted. Here let’s see how to change the Google drive folder location and achieve it step by step.
See Also: FIX: An Existing Connection Was Forcibly Closed By The Remote Host Minecraft
How to Change Google Drive Folder Location
There are a few easy ways to relocate it, choose the easiest way.
Change Google Drive Folder Location During The Setup
Suppose you haven’t yet used Google Drive’s backup and sync feature. Then you can always uninstall the existing installation, reinstall Backup, sync, and change the Google Drive folder location.
However, if you have already used the Backup and synced and synced your files, then I would not recommend installing the backup and sync client from your desktop.
But if you wish to uninstall it and reconfigure the Backup and Sync client, then follow these below steps:
- At first, download the Backup and Sync client from
- Then double click on the setup file and let it get installed on your computer.
- Once installed, launch Backup and Sync from the system tray menu.
- Then click on the GET STARTED button to start configuring the client.
- Next, click Sign in with your browser and use your Google account.
- Afterward, select the folders you wish to Backup and click on the Next button.
- Click on the change option on the next screen and select a folder.
- Finally, click on the start button to start syncing or backup files.
See Also: Steam Not Recognizing Installed Game Issue? 6 Ways To Fix
Relocate Google Drive Folder
One of the drawbacks of the Backup and sync client is that it doesn’t let you change the default location once As a result, you will need to quit the backup and sync client, change the Google Drive folder location, and sync your files again.
And for this, you will need to follow the below steps:
- Click on Backup and sync the client from the system tray.
- Then click on the three dots icon and select Preferences.
- Now, tap on Google Drive and uncheck the box beside Sync My Drive to this computer.
- In the new dialogue box, click on Continue.
- Yet again, now, head back and check the Sync My Drive to this computer.
- Tap on Change to change the Google Drive Folder location.
- After that, launch the Backup and Sync client, which will return with the “A synced folder is missing” message. Click on the Locate button from here, choose the new folder you have created, and confirm your action.
- Then back up and sync. The client asks you to “Merge with Existing Folder” and click on the continue button.
- That’s it. Now the Backup and sync client will sync the files which are not synced yet.
See Also: Xbox One Games Taking Too Long To Start | How To Fix
Disconnect And Reconfigure Backup And Sync
In case you have already synced all your Google Drive files and wish to resin files to a new location. Then you have to start from scratch by disconnecting the Google account and reconfiguring the Backup and sync client.
Also, the best part of this option is that it allows you to move your locally synced Google Drive contents to a new location and merge the files if required.
- Click on the Backup and Sync client icon from the system tray.
- Then click on the three dots icon and select Preferences.
- Next, go to settings and click on Disconnect account and confirm your action.
- Then move your synced files to a new location and delete the existing folder. However, you can skip this step if you want to sync all your files from scratch.
- Next, click the Backup, sync the client again, and click the sign-in button.
- Then follow all the onscreen instructions and complete the signing procedure.
- Once signed in, launch Backup, sync client, and click the Get started button.
- Then click on Sign in with your browser and complete the login procedure.
- Then you will need to select the folders you want to back up to Google Drive and click on Next.
- Lastly, click on the change button and choose a new location. You can also select where you have copied your existing synced files and merge them.
- Finally, click the start button and let the backup and sync client start backing up and syncing your files between your computer and Google Drive.
Google has many tools such as Docs, Drive, and many more, which help in all steps. Hence sometimes it is nice to hide the Address bar in Google Chrome, try it once.
Those are the three methods with which you can change the location of your Google Drive folder. The methods are easy, and you need not worry if you’ve already synced your files since there is a sol also union for that predicament. Hoping this article has helped you to relocate your Google Drive.
See Also: LastPass Form Fill Not Working – How To Fix This Issue?
Sydney Butler is a technology writer with over 20 years of experience as a freelance PC technician and system builder. He’s worked for more than a decade in user education. On AM Tricks, he focuses on creating commerce content with simple buying advice and carefully chosen product suggestions.