By eliminating the need to recreate data already available elsewhere, this article describes how to solve if Copy and Paste Not Working on Windows, the Copy and Paste commands have been an absolute lifesaver for many computer users. Moreover, they save time, which in our digital age is a precious commodity. Ctrl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for paste are the most widely used shortcuts. What if these commands don’t work at all or don’t work the way they’re supposed to? These are needed to be fixed soon. To know more about the error code that occurs in your system, refer to this article.
Also see: File Explorer Not Working | 4 Easy Fixes
- 1 Probable Reasons Why Copy-Paste Command Is Not Working On Windows
- 2 Copy and Paste Not Working? Preliminary solutions –
- 3 Fixing the “Copy – paste” issue
- 3.1 Viruses or malware.
- 3.2 Disabling the anti-virus program temporarily.
- 3.3 Copy and Paste Not Working? then open System 32 folder
- 3.4 Copy and Paste Not Working? try Using the “echo off” command
- 3.5 Disable Startup programs
- 3.6 Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
- 3.7 Windows explorer.
- 3.8 System file checker. (Automatically)
- 3.9 System file checker. (Manually)
- 3.10 Delete corrupt zones from the windows registry.
- 4 Conclusion
Probable Reasons Why Copy-Paste Command Is Not Working On Windows
You may encounter issues with copy-paste in Windows, due to a temporary glitch in the operating system software interference, corrupt system files, etc.
For some users, the copy and paste commands are not responding at all,it means Copy and Paste Not Working the options are greyed out in the right-click context menu. While for some of them, the paste command is pasting the wrong text or image. Some other users are facing the issue in some applications only. A buggy system update may interfere with the process.
Check also: Print Screen Not Working Solved In 4 Easy Ways
Copy and Paste Not Working? Preliminary solutions –
Some common troubleshooting steps that you should try before reconfiguring the system –
- The most common solution to these issues is to restart the computer.
- Some users found that closing and reopening the file explorer temporarily fixed the issue.
- If your computer is not responding to the keyboard shortcuts, check if the keys are working properly or not. Copy and paste can also be accomplished by right-clicking your mouse and selecting the menu option.
- If you are using an external keyboard, try resetting your keyboard to factory reset.
- Some system glitches occur if Windows is not updated for a long time. Click on “Check for updates” in Settings, to ensure updates are pending.
- Try updating the application in which copy-paste is not working.
If Copy and Paste isn’t working for you, try this.
Fixing the “Copy – paste” issue
Follow below to fix copy paste issues
Viruses or malware.
You may have a virus or malware infecting your clipboard. Your antivirus program can help you determine if this is the cause of the problem. Following are steps to check for viruses through Windows Defender—
1. In the lower-left corner, select the Start menu.of your screen, then click Settings.
2. Under the Update & Security option, click on Windows Security.
3. Navigate to Virus & Threat Protection.
4. Under the Threat history area, click Run a new advanced scan.
5. Choose Full scan, then press the Scan now button.
6. Save any open files and close any running programs, then click Scan, and your PC will restart to begin the scan.
Follow this to Solve Copy and Paste Not Working issue
Disabling the anti-virus program temporarily.
Sometimes Anti-virus applications prevent the copy-paste feature for security reasons. Try disabling the anti-virus program temporarily.
Copy and Paste Not Working? then open System 32 folder
1. To get started, open up the file explorer.
2. Navigate to C:/Windows/System32.
3. A search box will appear, search rdpclip.
4. Right-click on rdpclip.exe and select Run as Administrator.
5. Then, look in the search bar for dwm.exe.
6. Now, right-click on dwm and choose Run as Administrator from the context menu.
7. Now restart your computer.
Follow to Solve Copy and Paste Not Working issue
See Also: Windows Update Stuck At 100 | Fixes
Copy and Paste Not Working? try Using the “echo off” command
1. Type cmd in Windows 10’s search box.
2. Right-click and select Run as administrator.
3. Type cmd /c “echo off | clip” in command prompt and press enter.
Disable Startup programs
1. Pressing CTRL + SHIFT + Esc keys together, open the Task Manager.
2. Click on the Startup tab
3. Disable all the programs and restart the system.
Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
1. After clicking on the Start button, click on Settings.
2. Select Updates and Security >> Troubleshoot.
3. Select the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
4. Restart the computer.
Follow this to solve Copy and Paste Not Working issue
1. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC on your keyboard together.
2. Locate the windows explorer application.
3. Right-click Windows Explorer and select restart.
System file checker. (Automatically)
1. Install Reimage. Reimage is a repairing software that diagnoses the issues in the computer and fixes them immediately.
2. Run a free scan.
3. You will get a detailed report regarding the issues.
4. Select START REPAIR. Reimage will fix all issues.
To fix your Copy and Paste Not Working issue follow as above
System file checker. (Manually)
1. Type Command Prompt in the search box.
2. Select Run as administrator from right-click menu.
3. Type sfc/scannow
4. Press enter.
5. Restart the computer once the scan is finished.
Delete corrupt zones from the windows registry.
1. Press the Windows logo and the R keys at the same time to launch the Run box.
2. Type regedit, and then press Enter.
3. In the left pane, expand in the following sequence: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Internet Settings > Zones. Delete any folder before 0 with an ASCII character as its name (such as an empty rectangle icon or an L graphic image).
4. Do not make any other changes.
5. Click Yes to confirm.
Follow this to solve Copy and Paste Not Working issue
Various other methods can be employed to solve this Copy and Paste Not Working issue. We have, however, selected the most well rated and influential ones.
Dale Fox is an Editor, helping people get the most out of their technology. He’s been a tech nerd ever since childhood, when he used the money from his first job as a paperboy to buy a subscription to GamesMaster magazine, and has a whole room at home dedicated as a shrine to the countless gadgets he’s purchased over the decades. Dale was previously a presenter, reporter and editor in China, where he also worked as a copywriter for OnePlus at its Shenzhen HQ.