Excel is a vital program that many firms use to handle data and consumer information. When you open an Excel file, you may get a blank screen. You cannot see the file you opened. This indicates that the file you’re attempting to open is incompatible with the software you’re using. Many individuals worldwide have this problem, even after repeatedly opening and shutting the file. This article will explore the issue- the excel file opens but does not display.
After you fix the screen not displaying issue, try to change the legend text to have fun with your Excel files.
Causes For The Issue
The following are the primary reasons for this problem:
- The file could be corrupt.
- Extension of the file is incorrect.
- The file opens in another application.
- Problematic add-ons.
Whatever the cause, if you encounter the same problem and need to access an Excel file, this article will give the best solutions to the “Excel files won’t open” situation. Please give it a look and try the suggested solutions; your problem will be fixed in no time!
Are you attempting to open an Excel file but cannot view the contents? Are you unable to open a crucial file that you require right away? If so, here’s what you should do!
Install: Microsoft Excel
4 Easy Ways To Fix Excel File Opens But Does Not Display
These are the easy and quick solutions to fix the issue- the excel file opens but does not display.
Uncheck The Ignore DDE Box
The Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) settings determine Excel’s interaction with other apps. If this setting enables, you may encounter this problem, as it prevents Excel files from opening. You can launch MS Excel from the Start Menu, but you won’t be able to open individual Excel files. You may address “Excel file not opening” issues by unchecking the Ignore DDE option, as shown below:
- Open Microsoft Excel and then proceed to the File menu, then Options.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Uncheck the “Ignore other programs that employ Dynamic Data Exchange” option in the General group. To save and close the settings, click OK.
To access the Excel files, uncheck the ignore DDE option. Excel will disregard all DDE instructions given from other programs as if it is checked. This is the most basic, straightforward, and often used solution to the “Excel files won’t open” issue.
Reset Excel File Associations
File associations guarantee that files open in the appropriate program. The Excel file will not open if the associations are wrong. Repairing MS Excel will not solve the problem. Thus, you must reset the Excel file associations by following these steps:
- First, you will have to open the control panel and then navigate the Programs section.
- Navigate to Default Applications and select the “set your default programs” option.
- Select Excel from the list and click it.
- Click the “Choose this program’s default” link.
- When the Set Program Associations page displays, choose All and click Save and OK to save your selections.
Excel file associations are successfully reset. You have resolved the problem that was preventing your Excel files from opening. This is a simple method to resolve the issue- the excel file opens but does not display.
Repair Microsoft Office
Sometimes the problem is not with the file but with MS Office, which causes Excel files to fail to open. When this happens, fixing MS Office solves the problem immediately. Here’s how to fix Microsoft Office:
- Open the Control Panel, navigate to Programs, and click the Uninstall a software option.
- Locate and right-click Microsoft Office in the list of apps.
- Change can be found in the dropdown menu.
- Select Online Repair and then click the Repair button.
It will take some time for Microsoft Office to fix the programs. Once completed, all flaws and issues, including Excel crash while opening files, will be immediately addressed, and all Office apps will work smoothly. Your computer will require to restart the computer.
After attempting the approaches above, you should be able to open Excel files without Excel crashing or any files refusing to open. Now that you know the fixes for the Excel file not opening issue let’s look at how to fix another common problem: being unable to open a password-protected Excel file.
Repair Corrupt Excel File
Another common reason Excel would not open is if the Excel file is corrupt. It is also a common cause of Excel not spreading. It commonly happens when the Excel application breaks while saving the file. Excel will not open even if you double-click the file if that is the case. To repair faulty Excel files, follow the steps outlined below.
- To begin, launch Excel and create a new blank document.
- At the top of the page, click on the File tab.
- From the list of options to the left, choose ‘open,’ and then navigate to the folder containing the file in the right pane. Then, choose the file you wish to open.
- Before you click ‘open,’ move your cursor to the little arrow next to the ‘open’ button and click it.
- To proceed, select ‘open and fix’ from the dropdown option.
- If your files are faulty, Excel will ask you if you want to restore them or if you want to extract the data.
- You choose the repaired file’ option and only select ‘extract data’ if the first option fails.
Similar to Microsoft Excel, sometimes it can also happen that your file explorer may not work. Learn the easy fixes if your File explorer is not working.
Microsoft Excel is a frequently used application since it is the greatest yet easy tool made by Microsoft to manage data and conduct calculations on it. Excel files can refuse to open owing to flaws and mistakes. When you double-click it, MS Excel opens, but the file is not visible, or Excel crashes when opening files. In this post, we tackled the Excel file won’t open issue. There are several approaches to resolving the problem.
Sydney Butler is a technology writer with over 20 years of experience as a freelance PC technician and system builder. He’s worked for more than a decade in user education. On AM Tricks, he focuses on creating commerce content with simple buying advice and carefully chosen product suggestions.