Legend text is the one that appears on the chart using the names provided in the cell. Now, if you are preparing a chart in Microsoft Excel and are worried about excel how to change legend text, then this article is for you. Excel sheets include a lot of simple hidden tricks to make your work easier, and here are some steps to learn.
This article takes you through different methods to help you set and change legend names in excel. One of the ways is to change the name in the cell that contains the legend name on the chart. Follow through the article to learn the steps and other methods which can come in handy. Read this article on what to do when Microsoft Excel won’t install.
Microsoft Excel is a popular and excellent tool for tracking and organizing your schedules, data, or any table content required. It is useful to everyone, from students to business professionals. One of this application’s helpful features is to convert your data into charts easily. In this article, you will find excel on how to change legend text on the chart and other formatting techniques to better your chart.
- 1 Steps to Convert Data Into Charts
- 2 Methods On Excel How To Change Legend Text
- 3 Other Changes
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Steps to Convert Data Into Charts
Let us start with how to convert your data into charts:
- Start with opening the Microsoft excel sheet.
- Type out your data in the rows and columns.
- Now select all the information on rows and columns that you want on the chart by pressing.
- Down the cursor and select the text in one drag.
- After selecting, you will see a box on the bottom; click on it.
- Click in the Charts tab and select the format you want.
Methods On Excel How To Change Legend Text
Here are the top 3 methods to help you with the question of how to change legend text in excel. You can use them to set and change the information.
Make The Legend Text Visible
Before learning excel how to change legend text, let us see how to set it. Once you have the chart ready, you might notice that the legend text is not visible on it if you are a first-timer.
- For the legend text to show, first click on the chart.
- On the top right of it, you will see three boxes. Choose the first one, which shows a plus sign.
- You will come across a list of texts beside checkboxes.
- When you notice the Legend option, tick the box.
- Now the Legend text will appear on your chart.
Change The Name In The Cell
The way the legend name on the chart works is that it shows the name entered in the cells of your data. Now, when the legend name is visible, and you want to change it, you will have to change the name in the cell itself. Here are some simple steps that will help you in changing the legend name in excel:
- The cell containing the legend text will be highlighted in different colors. It makes it easier to distinguish.
- Now choose the cell that you want to change the name or information.
- As soon as you edit it, press enter, and you will see the difference appearing in the chart.
The Select Data Option
If you don’t want to change the name in the cell and want a change in the legend name on the chart, then follow this method. This method basically allows you to make changes in the chart without making changes in the excel sheet containing data. Here’s how to edit the legend in excel. These are the steps to follow:
- Click on the chart.
- You will see a section highlighted on the toolbar.
- Click on the Chart Design option.
- Besides the chart design images, there is an option to read select data. Click on it.
- Now a box containing the text in the cells appears in front of you.
- Click on the text you want to edit and select edit.
- Now enter the changes under the series name section and click ok.
- This will make changes only in the chart without disturbing the excel sheet.
Apart from how to change legend labels in excel, here are a few other easy changes you can make to your chart to make it better and easier to understand.
Change The Title
Firstly, begin with changing the title. You can do it either by double-clicking on it or right-clicking on the current title and then selecting edit.
The Axis Title
You might have noticed that the axis titles are missing when the chart is set in front. Since the graph is incomplete without axis titles, follow the steps below to set them:
- Click on the chart and select the plus sign on the top right side.
- On the list, check the box beside the Axis Title text.
- When you see the Axis title text on the chart, click on it and enter the appropriate information.
Positioning Chart Legend
As you can see, the chart legend is on the bottom by default. But if you want to change that and position them in a different place, go through these steps:
- Click on the chart and select the plus sign.
- Now go to the legend option.
- There will be an arrow beside the text. Click on it.
- You will see the top, bottom, left, or right and more options.
- Opt for one of your choices, and the changes will be automatically made.
There are other options besides the ones mentioned above. You can scroll or move your cursor through them, and you will see the visible changes on the chart. You can just click on the ones you might find necessary for the betterment of the graph.
What is Microsoft Excel used for?
The application enables users to organize or sort out schedules, tasks, etc. The sheet consisting of rows and columns forming boxes called cells makes it easier for the users and final viewers to understand the data and information executed.
What are the types of charts offered by Excel?
There are numerous types of charts provided by excel. These are used to represent data in various forms. The styles include bar charts, line charts, number charts, pie charts, surface charts, etc. The first three charts, however, are the most widely used ones.
What is a chart legend in Excel?
The Legend represents the entries on an area of a chart. These are linked to the table of content or the excel sheet whose data the graph reflects. These can be set, changed, and positioned using the options provided.
How can you add a source to a chart in Excel?
First, click on the chart you want to make changes to. You will see a highlighted section in the toolbar. Click on the format tab. Now click on insert shapes and opt for the text box icon. Then drag the box on the chart until it is big enough. Now type in the text and click anywhere on the screen once you are done to exit editing mode.
Excel sheets are an application widely in use for easy functioning of business and other tasks. As mentioned before, it has many hidden features that are easier to follow as well. You can check them out for Microsoft Excel commands on various sites.
All in all, this article tries to provide an answer to excel on how to change legend text. Hopefully, it was useful in giving the solution along with some other features of the chart betterment.
Sydney Butler is a technology writer with over 20 years of experience as a freelance PC technician and system builder. He’s worked for more than a decade in user education. On AM Tricks, he focuses on creating commerce content with simple buying advice and carefully chosen product suggestions.