You are sitting at home on a Sunday morning for your weekly awaited day off! You get your bundle of snacks and grab hold of your laptop to watch your favorite series or movies. But you can’t remember where you saved the file. So you click on file explorer and try typing it out, but something’s wrong. It just keeps going on a never-ending loading screen and you see Windows 10 file explorer not working. So now what? Or do you see that your video file is not playing? Is it error 0xc00d36c4? Click here to get solutions.
4 Ways To Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Not Working
If you find yourself in a turmoil because of this issue. Fear not! Here are few ways in which you can fix file explorer not opening.
If you see that file explorer Windows 10 won’t open, you can try ejecting any external devices connected to the system. After successfully removing the external drive, proceed to refresh the system, and restart it.
Before restarting, try updating the system. This makes sure that your system gets the latest update needed, which enhances better functioning. Restarting it ensures any update automatically downloaded will be applied, giving you more chances to solve the issue. If you get an update error, such as the ” We Couldn’t Complete The Updates Undoing Changes”, click here to find it’s solutions.
This is sort of like re-awakening the whole pc/laptop. Once you are done restarting it, refresh it once more and then proceed to the file explorer and search for your file again.
If this doesn’t solve Windows 10 file explorer not working, carry on reading for other solutions.
If your Windows 10 file explorer won’t open, you can restore the system options/preferences to default, which erases any options you have set previously. This makes it easier to start over and search for your needed files.
- Click on the “Start” icon at the bottom left of your desktop and type “File Explorer Options”.
- Once done, you will see a tab with different options and commands. Here is where you can proceed to reset the file explorer defaults. You will now come across three tabs: “General”, “View,” & “Search”.
- Change the “open file explorer to” option from “quick access” to “This PC”.
- Click on over to the general tab, then click “Clear” next to the “Clean up file explorer history”. This clears all that you have searched on your file explorer.
- Once done, click on “Restore defaults”.
- Next, under the view tab, proceed by clicking on “Reset Folders”, then “Restore defaults”.
- Finally, under the “search” tab, click on the option “Restore defaults.”
Did this solve the Windows 10 file explorer not working ? If not carry on reading for other solutions.
To get help with file explorer in Windows 10 you must try out these steps as well. If successful this might finally resolve your Windows 10 file explorer not working error.
- Click on the “Start” icon at the bottom left of your desktop and click on “Run”.
- Type in “msconfig”, and click on “OK”.
- Once done, click on the “services” tab and tick the box with option “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Once all the Microsoft services have been hidden, you will see all the remaining services. Click on “Disable all”.
- After that, click on “Startup”, and proceed to open the task manager. This is a step to disable any other Microsoft enabled services. Once done, click on apply and then OK.
- Finally, refresh and restart the system.
- Repeat the search process to ensure all is working as per usual.
Lastly what you can try if your file explorer won’t open is as follows:
- Click on the “Start” icon at the bottom left of your desktop and click on the gear shift icon (settings).
- Click on “Apps”, and then “Default Apps”.
- After this step, click on “Reset”, to reset the Microsoft recommended defaults. This resets all the built-in apps.
- If you still find any issues with your File explorer options, you can send a feedback through the feedback hub, where Microsoft can investigate the certain issue.
We hope these methods and tricks help you solve your Windows 10 file explorer not working error. If you have any further doubts, feel free to ask us in the comments below. We’d be glad to help you.