Are you using Windows 10 on your computer? So you already know what the biggest issue of windows 10. It’s auto updates.😐 You might have followed many guides to turn off windows 10 update and still that thing eats your internet without knowing you. well, that not going to happen after you read this guide and follow the steps. This article tells you to permanently turn off windows 10 update in 5 simplest steps.
How to Permanently turn off windows 10 update in 5 easy steps
We have explained the most comprehensive 5 steps to stop windows 10 auto update. each step is important, so follow them exactly.
Step1 – Turn off background Updates
The first step is to turn off background update from the windows settings.
- Open the windows settings and select Update & Security.
- From the new windows, select Advanced option.
- Now, toggle the option Automatically download updates, even….. and turn it Off.
- From the same screen, click on the Delivery optimization option.
- Toggle the option Allow downloads from other PCs and turn it Off.
Step2 – Set your internet connection as metered
Once you set the connection as meters, windows stop running in the background and consume no data.
- Open Settings and select Network and Internet.
- Now select your active network connection, it can be wifi adaptor or an Ethernet connection.
- Under you active connection, click on Change connection properties.
- Now under Metered connection section, enable the toggle below the option Set as metered connection.
This step turns off the background update but it doesn’t work as expected and still, Windows 10 updates consume your internet. That’s the reason we have to go advance and turn off the origin of this background setting.
Step3 – Disable Windows Update service
Windows mostly work on the services that control the windows features. Windows update has also a dedicated service that keeps it running in the background. You have to disable this service to turn off windows update in windows 10.
- Ope a run tool by pressing Win+R keys from the keyboard.
- In the Run tool, type services.msc and hit enter.
- services tool opens in a new window. From the list find and select Windows Update option.
- Double click on the windows updates to access its settings.
- Now, from the opened window, select Disabled from the drop-down menu for the option Startup Type.
- On the same Windows click on Stop button to stop the update.
- Press OK to save the changes.
Step4 – Disable Background intelligence Transfer Service
Next step to permanently turn off windows update is to disable BITS.
- From the services tool, find and select Background intelligence Transfer Service.
- Double click on it to open the tool and then change the option of Startup type to Disabled.
- If the service is currently running, press Stop to stop it immediately,
- Press OK to save changes.
Step5 – Change registry settings to turn off windows 10 update permanently
The final step in the solution of how to stop windows 10 auto update is to tweak some registry settings.
- type Win+R key to open the Run tool.
- Type regedit.msc and hot enter to open registry editor.
- Now, go to the following path –
- Now, right click on the windows folder and click on the New –> Key.
- Type the name if key as AU and press enter.
- Now on the right side area, right click on any blank and click New –> DWORD(32-bit) value
- Now type the value name as AUOptions and hit enter.
- double click on that option and then set the value to 0 to prenatally turn off windows 10 update. If you want to notify the update, set the value to 2.
That’s all, your precious data will no longer be eaten by windows update. Above 5 steps ensures that you have successfully disabled Windows 10 automatic updates.