If you’re new to Microsoft Word, you might encounter error messages like “There is insufficient memory or disk space, a word cannot display the requested font.” Close extra windows and save your work or something similar, which is quite frustrating when trying to have a productive day.
In this article, TechiePlus gives you the best fixes for this nagging problem. Rest assured, one of our methods will resolve your MS Word troubles once and for all.
Similar to these issues, a Windows user could also face problems. Refer to this article to know more about such problems.
See Also: How To Set Default Font In Word
- 1 Ways Of Fix “There Is Insufficient Memory Or Disk Space, Word Cannot Display The Requested Font”
- 2 Conclusion
Ways Of Fix “There Is Insufficient Memory Or Disk Space, Word Cannot Display The Requested Font”
The ways for fixing the error of “There is insufficient memory or disk space” are:
Free Up Disk Space And RAM On Your Computer
If you are running low on either disk space or RAM on your computer, that might very well be the culprit behind the persisting Word error message. You can free up space and RAM by following these simple steps:
- Clear up your RAM cache by going to Start->Task Manager->End any unnecessary tasks you see on the top of the list. If useless, uninstall these applications.
- Open Start->Settings->System->Storage. Enable Storage Sense to let Windows automatically remove unnecessary applications and free up disk space. To manually remove applications, select ‘Change how we free up space automatically’ ->Free up space now ->Clean now.
- Restart your device.
Fix Corrupted Normal.dotm File
If you have sufficient space on your device but yet face this issue, it’s time to check up on the installed MS files. A corrupted normal.dotm file is notorious for causing problems. However, they can be easily rectified by following these steps-
- Open File Explorer->This PC->Local Disk(C:)->Users-> “Your Acc Name”->AppData.
- If you cannot see AppData, select View from the Ribbon Menu on the top and check the ‘Hidden Items‘ box.
- Once you can access the AppData folder, click AppData->Roaming->Microsoft->Templates
- Rename the normal.dotm file to ‘normal. Old‘. You can even delete the normal. dotm file, but this would be a safer option.
- Now, Finally, your MS Word should be working without any error now.
See Also: How To Fix Nvidia Driver Issues By Rolling Back On Windows 10
Disabling Problematic MS Word Add-Ins
MS Word Add-ins can often trigger memory and disk space problems which can be solved by disabling them. The ‘Instant Messaging Contacts‘ add-in of MS Word is reported to cause several memory problems.
- Open MS Word.
- Go to File-> Click on Word Options.
- Select the Add-ins menu from Word Options.
- Now, navigate to the Manage Bar near the bottom of the window.
- Select COM Add-ins->Go.
- Disable all Add-ins one by one until you find the particular Add-in causing the problem.
- Then, select the faulty Add-in->Remove.
- As a result of this, your error gets solved.
See Also: Hulu Keeps Logging Me Out! How To Fix?
Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration
Disabling Hardware Graphics Acceleration reduces memory consumed, ensuring the smooth running of the application.
- Open MS Word.
- After that, click on File->Options->Advanced->Display.
- Disable the Hardware Graphics Acceleration
- As a result of this, you won’t get any errors now.
Use The Repair Office Tool From Control Panel
Microsoft provides its Repair Tool designed to combat issues and errors like there is insufficient memory or disk space, word cannot display the requested font, etc in its products. This method can be accessed when you get error messages despite having sufficient memory and disk space.
- Firstly, right-click on Start->Apps and Features->Right click on the Microsoft product that you want to repair->Press Modify.
- If your Microsoft Office is click-to-run based, follow this-
- If your Microsoft Office is MSI based, follow this-
- In the ‘Change your installation‘ section, click on Repair->Continue.
Follow the instructions provided by the Repair Tool to finish the process.
See Also: TF2 Won’t Launch On Windows 10 [Solved]
Reset MS Word’s Registry Entries
Sometimes, due to some error in the Windows, your mail also might not open up, which could also give rise to these issues. Follow the below steps to solve the issue of there is insufficient memory or disk space, word cannot display the requested font:
- Press Windows->Run-> type ‘cmd’ to open the Command Prompt Window.
- Using the folder lists, navigate to the destination HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\xx.0\Word. Here, xx will represent the version of MS Word that you currently have on your device.
- Right-click on the ‘Data’ folder-> ‘Export’ to save a backup of your default or current settings.
- Then, right-click on the ‘Data’ folder again-> Delete.
- Open MS Word. If the error message is no longer visible, voila! You’re ready to get back on track! If the problem persists, follow this-
- Double click on ‘Backupand Recover Settings .’Perform the same procedure for the Options folder.
Caution: Be very careful while resetting Registry Entries as a slight error or mismatch in registry editing can lead to disastrous results. Have a backup of your data at hand before following this method
See Also: How To Solve Enter Keys Not Working Problem | Top 7 Ways
Use PowerShell To Gain Necessary Permissions
MS Word needs specific permissions to access and edit the fonts required by Microsoft products. If these permissions are not provided, it may lead to operating problems. Follow these steps to make the relevant changes-
- Press Start->Run->type ‘PowerShell’ to open the Windows PowerShell Window.
- In the PowerShell Window, paste the following commands in order:
- Get-all C:\Windows\fonts\arial.TTF | Set-Acl -path c:\windows\fonts\*.*;
- Get-all C:\Windows\fonts\arial.TTF | Set-Acl -path c:\windows\fonts
- After that, click Enter
- Once the code has completely been executed, open MS Word.
- As a result, Finally, you should no longer be getting an error message.
Insufficient Disk Space problems are caused due to several reasons like low RAM Memory, Corrupt Files, etc. Installation of Original Microsoft Office from the verified Microsoft website can help reduce the chances of corrupt files being installed on your device. Regular checkups of your memory usage on your device can help free up disk space or RAM used by unnecessary applications, which caters to the smooth operation of useful applications such as MS Word. If none of these methods work out for you, consider manually increasing your RAM capacity by upgrading your RAM strips, as you might not have enough RAM on your device for the smooth operation of MS Word. You can also consider downloading verified Repair Tools for Microsoft Office, which can help you overcome this issue.
See Also: Memory Management Error | 8 Easy Fixes
Hello, I am McKenzie and I am totally obsessed with getting the best experience out of every device that I use. Hence, I started this blog to help others make the most of their devices and fix errors in a jiffy! 🙂