Are you looking for updating your phone? then here is the easiest way to update your phone with minimal efforts. The situation arises when you cant download update to your phone or downloaded update cant be installed on your phone. In this case, you can use ADB sideload method to update your phone by downloading update zip file to your computer. In this guide, you will know what is ADB sideload and how to apply update from adb sideload.
What is ADB?
Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a new method included to AOSP from android jellybean version. Since v4.3 version, adb comes by default to all android phones. With the adb, one can do many tasks on your phone with just little command lines.
Applying an update to an Android phone just got easier to devs and also normal users with adb sideload method. You can push the update file with just one command.
Advantages of Adb system
- Push files to the system with just a command lines
- Pull files from the system with command lines
- No need to save file on your phone to apply update from adb sideload method.
Download ADB Drivers for Windows and MAC
To update your phone using adb sideload, you need to have adb drivers installed on your PC. We have covered this part also. Download adb drivers and know how to install them on your PC.
Download ADB drivers for Windows –
How to install adb drivers for Windows 7/8/10
For installing adb drivers on your PC you need to enable USB debugging from your phone. To enable it, go to settings-about – tap on build number for seven times- go back- click on developers option- enable USB debugging.
- Download the driver’s zip file from above download button.
- Extract the files using WinRAR/WinZip
- Click on adb drivers universal EXE file.
- Now connect your device to your PC using the USB cable
- Once the device is connected, adb tool shows your phone’s manufacturer name and status (whether adb drivers are installed or not)
- Now, click on the install button and wait for the process to complete.
- From your phone, a pop-up message shows to ask Allows USB debugging. Click Yes.
Once done, adb drivers are now successfully installed on your PC. You can use your windows pc to apply update from adb sideload.
If you can’t install adb drivers on windows 10 or 8 , you need to disable driver signature enforcement from windows settings. You can disable this signature by going into windows advanced boot options – startup settings. Now restart your pc and enter 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
Download ADB drivers for MAC –
How to install adb drivers for MAC
- Download the drivers zip file from above downlaod butoon.
- Extract the zip file and remember the extracted folder location.
- Open a terminal window.
- Type = cd / path-to-adb-folder. For eg, if you downloaded the file to desktop then type
- Now, connect your device to your Mac using the Supported USB cable.
- Now, in terminal window type –
- Click on OK when a popup screen appears on your device to allow USB debugging.
- Again type adb devices and you can see the device listed in the terminal window. (with some random number)
Now you can run adb commands on your MAC PC for android phones to apply update from adb sideload.
How to apply update from adb sideload
Now that you have installed adb drivers on your Windows/Mac PC, you can easily sideload an update to your phone using the following method.
- Step1 – At first you need to download update zip file of your phone. You can head over to XDA to find your phone’s dedicated forum and update zip file.
- Step2 – Connect your phone to your windows/Mac PC using the USB cable.
- Step3 – Rename the downloaded zip file to update.zip
- Step4 – Now, copy the update zip file to the desktop.
- Step5a – Now for windows – in the desktop shift + right click simultaneously, and select “open command window here” or “Open PowerShell here”.
- Step6b – For Mac – open terminal by pressing right click on desktop and select terminal.
- Sep7 – from command terminal, type –
allow USB debugging and select always allow from popup window on your phone.
- Step8 – Now, type –
adb reboot recovery
- Step9 – Once your phone is in recovery mode, select “apply update from fastboot“.
- Step10 – Now, on terminal window type-
adb sideload update.zip
- Step11 – Wait for the flashing process to complete.
Your device is now updated using ADB sideload method and you can now run updated software on your phone.
ADB is the new method to perform a system level task for your android phone using PC through a command line. ADB helps to apply update from adb sideload method for updating your phone to latest version when you can’t update your phone from OTA method. This guide also explains how to install adb drivers on Windows and Mac PC before you apply update from adb sideload method.